The Des Moines Fire Department extinguished five fires in one day on Tuesday March 24th. The fires, which were unrelated, were called in between 2:30 AM and 3:15 PM and estimates of damage done range from $2,000 to $40,000. One was a cooking fire and the others were caused by electrical malfunctions. The cooking fire occurred at 3727 University Ave. The three electrical fires occurred at 1106 Scott Ave., 2825 S.E. 14th St., 826 E. Livingston Ave. respectively. The cause of the fire that occurred at 1305 E. 37th St. is still under investigation.