If I got hurt on someone's property causing me to be paralyzed, what should be my next step?

Question Detail: Hello. I was hurt after being hired to trim a tree for a guy. We started the job; I put a rope in the tree to have the owner and his friend pull the limb out. When limb was almost cut through, they let go of the rope and the limb broke free and knocked me out of the tree 15 feet above the ground. I fell on my back and broke my spine. I have a spinal burst fracture and several broken ribs. I am paralyzed from the waist down now and will have to always be in a wheelchair. My doctor bills are 500 thousand dollars. I don't know if his house or insurance policy is enough to cover the medical bills let alone the pain and suffering. What should I do?

Answer: You will most likely need to hire a lawyer to pursue a legal claim against the homeowner's insurance. So long as he was helping you should be alright with the claim. You'll have to show he did something wrong or in a negligent manner. Injured people can’t just collect from the homeowner’s insurance just because of the injury taking place on the property. This is one of the most misunderstood areas of the law. You have to show a defect in the property or that the owner, an insured was negligent and that negligent act caused your injury.

Sorry to hear about your injury, if we can help let us know.


Steve Lombardi
Connect with me
Iowa personal injury, workers' compensation, motorcycle, quadriplegic, paraplegic, brain injury, death