Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some initial questions many clients have when they first contact Lombardi Law Firm. The questions below may address many initial concerns you may have. If you don't find the answers here, you should contact us for answers to questions specific to your case. The consultation is free.

  • Page 3
  • What is an Iowa permit to carry firearms?

    A permit to carry is a license that allows the permit holder to keep and carry dangerous weapons.  If you’re going to carry weapons and you don’t have a permit to carry, you may find yourself charged with an aggravated misdemeanor. 

    A valid permit to carry may also be used in lieu of a permit to acquire.

    Iowa issues two types of permits to carry weapons: professional and nonprofessional.  Professional permits to carry may be issued to public and private peace and security officers.  Generally these permits are valid for twelve months after the date of issue, except that permits issued to certain peace officers and correctional officers are valid throughout the period of employment.  A holder of a professional permit to carry authorizes the holder to go armed to and from work, and anywhere in the state as long as engaged in employment. 

    Nonprofessional permits to carry weapons are issued to applicants whose jobs do not require being armed.  These permits are valid for five years after the date of issue.   They are valid everywhere in the state except where the law prohibits nonprofessionals to possess or carry firearms.

  • What would disqualify me from being approved for an Iowa permit to acquire firearms?

    These factors can disqualify you from being issued a permit to acquire:

    • You are under 21.
    • You are the subject of a protective order or have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence.
    • You are prohibited by federal law from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm.

    Also note that providing false statements or false documentation on your application constitutes a class “D” felony.

  • How do I apply for an Iowa permit to acquire firearms?

    You will need to fill out this application, which is provided by the Iowa Department of Public Safety.  Then, file your application with the Sheriff of your county of residence.  You will undergo a criminal background check.  Unless you are disqualified from holding a permit to acquire, you will immediately be issued your permit to acquire.  Further contact information is available here, and information about sheriffs’ offices is available here.   

  • How long is an Iowa permit to acquire weapons valid?

    A permit to acquire is valid starting three days after the date of application, and is invalid one year after the date of application.

  • What is an annual permit to acquire and why do I need one In Iowa?

    Having a permit to acquire authorizes the permit holder to acquire pistols and revolvers while the permit is valid.  If you want a new pistol or revolver and you don’t have a permit to carry, you need a valid permit to acquire.  You cannot use someone else’s permit to acquire.

  • Do I need an Iowa permit to carry for target practice or hunting?

    No.  If you are lawfully engaged in target practice on a range designed for that purpose, or if you’re lawfully engaged in hunting, you do not need a permit.

  • What types of weapons permits are issued in Iowa?

    The two main types of weapons permits in Iowa are the permit to acquire and the permit to carry.  The permit to acquire allows you to acquire firearms.  The permit to carry allows you to carry concealed and loaded firearms anywhere that is not designated a weapons-free zone, such as a school or a park.  There are professional and nonprofessional permits to carry.  The main difference between the two is that professional permits are issued to those whose need to carry firearms arises out of their employment, and they are generally permitted to carry firearms only in the course of their employment, while nonprofessional permits are issued to those whose interest in firearms is unrelated to work.

  • How do I initially proceed with an on-the-job injury?

    Question Detail: I "strained" my back while positioning a patient, on Jan 14, 2014. I called my supervisor and left her a message, saying I pulled, strained or sprain my back an hour or so later. I called in 15 and 17th due to back pain. The 16th was a scheduled day off. It was several days later that I mentioned it to my supervisor. She told me she didn't hear the message. She was on a few days of vacation beginning on the 14th. That she would let the employee health nurse know as there was paperwork that had to be completed. On Jan 29 I was in the office, the employee health nurse walked over to me. She said, "A little Birdie told me you hurt your back, but you're feeling better. Do you need to see a doctor?" She then walked away without getting my answer. My back has been hurting off and on since, but getting worse when it hurts. I again called in on Feb. 17 and 19th sending an email to my supervisor, that my back was hurting and I needed to let it rest. 18th was a scheduled day off. On Feb. 20, 2014 there was a reduction in force at my work and I was laid off. I was never given any paperwork or really offered medical attention. I don't have anything in writing, other than my comment in payroll website. That my absence on Jan 15th was due to, "back strain from patient the previous day." Which my supervisor manually approves each daily entry. Is it too late to get medical attention?

    Answer: Simple, just ask your supervisor or the HR department for permission to see a doctor. This accomplishes two things: reporting the injury and the need to obtain medical treatment for the work injury.

  • By what method of payment will I receive my Iowa unemployment benefits? Can I arrange for direct deposit?

    Normally your weekly payment is applied through a prepaid debit card: for each week you are eligible for unemployment benefits, you will receive a deposit to your debit card account.  You can apply to receive your benefits by direct deposit by filling out this form, which is also available here on pages 25 through 26.  Send the form to Iowa Workforce Development, Unemployment Insurance Service Center, P.O. Box 10332, Des Moines, IA 50306-0332.