Being injured and feeling the pressures of Christmas approaching do not mix well. Thirty-five years of managing a personal injury/workers’ compensation claim practice have taught me about how stressed out clients can get at this time of the year. Let me see if I can give you a little advice to ease your Christmas concerns.
- Worrying about it won’t help.
- Stop worrying about it and do something practical about it.
- Start planning and budgeting early.
- Limit your gift-giving.
- Be reasonable and sensible with the amounts you spend.
Law suit loans are a dangerous road to go down and lawyers cannot ethically lend money to a client. Paying the rent and buying groceries is more important than buying Barbie dolls and electric race cars.
UTILITIES AND SQUEEZING SAVINGS OUT OF SMARTER MONEY MANAGEMENT
There are some programs to assist you with heating bills,
Contact MidAmerican Energy for utility assistance – Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota
- Reduce your driving and your insurance coverage to save money
- Consider driving only one car or truck
- Turn off cable TV.
- Stop smoking cigarettes.
- No going out to eat.
- Consider shutting down the wifi.
- School supplies can be donated through media programs
- No out-of-town travel
- Cut up the credit cards
- Let the kids walk to work or ride a bicycle
- Turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater
- Play cards and board games
- Get a Netflix account for entertainment
- Make Christmas gifts with things from Michael's or Hobby Lobby
Remember it is about survival while the PI/WC case gets resolved.
Shop for food at Walmart and look for sales
Food Bank of Iowa - Address: 2220 E 17th St, Des Moines, IA 50316 - 515) 564-0330
Des Moines Area Religious Council - Address: 1435 Mulberry St, Des Moines, IA 50309
Urbandale Food Pantry - Address: Cedar Ridge Shopping Center, 7611 Douglas Ave #34-35, Urbandale, IA 50322
Did you know?
- 1 in 8 Iowans are food insecure
- 1 in 5 Iowa children does not have enough to eat
- 395,620 Iowans live at or below the poverty level
- For every $1 donation, the Food Bank of Iowa can provide 4 meals
I learned a lot about being poor while growing up. This will pass.