... but delivers nada.
This scammer has been busy, busy, and busy. The first time I wrote about him, he was none other than Javontae Holloway. That was on November 18, 2013. The last time I heard from an attorney’s office about this scammer was today. Since January 20, 2017 I have received no fewer than twenty-five law firm contacts about this scam. Siince January, lawyers have been contacted in Florida, California, Tennessee, Texas, Louisiana, New York, Alabama, Georgia, Minnesota and Oregon. Those lawyers in Louisiana were so hot they needed a long cool straw full of Savannah sweet tea in order to cool down. Oh boy, were they hot.
He continues to claim he is a paraplegic in need of money to pay his rent. Here is one description that will sort of lay out his story.
“Carl Torrence called us this morning in Nashville. He was rear-ended by a U-Haul truck on 1-40. Paraplegic. Needed rent and electric paid because his colostomy bags needed to be cleaned. But U-Haul does not do partial payments when he called and asked. And, no he did not have that number with him. But someone named John would be there at 11:30 to sign the release for $1.5 million. He thought they had an umbrella for at least $5 million, a lawyer in Mississippi had all but confirmed it. But he could not wait. As I heard the story, I asked if a wreck this bad was covered in the news. He did not know because he was in the hospital and then recovering at his sisters in MS. So, I googled his name and this blog was the first hit…”
He will claim to either have moved to Texas or some other state to live with a sister. She doesn't exist. She's as fake as is his sorry-ass story.
“Carl Torrence called us and is using the phone (662) 228-3685 he gave an address of 133 Maple Street in Columbus Ohio. And claims he was in hospital in room 224. “
Lately he’s been using U-Haul. I contacted the legal department at U-Haul and the head of claims was extremely nice to speak with. He says every Monday he expects half dozen messages from attorneys seeking to talk about Mr. Torrence’s accident, but there is no such accident.
U-Haul’s Claims’ Office description:
“The Adjuster's name was Michael Kennedy from REP WEST or has been Robert Johnson from Sedgwick. Insurance and his number is 1-800-528-7134 ext. 543201. When he called back it said UHAUL on the caller ID. He couldn't actually say it was a scam until we ASKED was it a scam and he said I’m so glad you asked me that because he wasn't at liberty to say. But then he said yes it was a scam and he has had a lot of calls. Normally he is tied up and by the time he calls someone back it’s either too late or they did like us and googled and found out for ourselves. Claim’s Department – [phone number omitted]”
And then we had this description from a firm in New York.
“Steve: Received a call this morning around 11:00 am, from Carl Torrence. He was using the U-Haul crash scam described on your website. Claimed the insurance company was coming to his apartment at 11:30 to have him sign a $2 million dollar release. He didn't know what to do. His landlord was evicting him and he needed to pay back rent. He was concerned about his Medicaid lien. Said the accident occurred on I-81 in Syracuse, NY. Carl had consulted with an attorney in Houston, where he lives now, and was surprised to learn he needed a NY lawyer to handle his case. All sounded a little unusual. A quick google search of Carl Torrence failed to turn up any serious accidents on I-81 on the day he claimed he was struck from behind by a U-Haul truck with brake failure. Instead I found your blog entries. I asked him if he knew you. He hung up.”
His reference to the Medicaid lien is new. He must be capable of learning. I could spend hours on this every week. I’m sure lawyers do. He does. Imagine if he spent this much time doing something legal? Po' Po' Javontae...
BLOG LIST: Posts about the FedEx, U-Haul, Lowes and WalMart Scam:
- November 18, 2013: Law Practice: The Paraplegic Scam and the story of Po Javontae – Des Moines, Iowa.
- December 9, 2013: Breaking News: Javontae's paraplegic scam, moves from Iowa to California! - California
- December 13, 2013: Breaking News: Hot off the Dysfunctional Press from the Lombardi Law Firm! – Spokane, Washington
- December 15, 2013: More Breaking News: Where is Waldo? He’s in New Haven, Connecticut
- December 18, 2013: Does Waldo own a jet? – The Big Apple, New York, New York
- December 21, 2013: Paraplegic scammer attempts his scam on lawyers in Baltimore, Maryland
- January 14, 2014: News Update: Fed Ex and Walmart Scammers in New Jersey
- January 22, 2014: Let’s Rock & Roll with Po Javontae, Baltimore, Maryland - Javontae is back trolling again in Baltimore, Maryland, slight change of reported facts. He’s changed his address to: Napoleon, 111 East Little Texas Road, Louisiana 70390. This lawyer did not bite.
- January 27, 2014: Contacted by lawyers in West Virginia. Legal Scam: Javontae is back, this time in West Virginia
- February 7, 2014: February, 7, 2014: Do Louisianans have too much time on their hands? West Virginia
- February 12, 2014: Guess who is back? You guessed it Javontae! | Lombardi Law Firm – Los Angeles, California
- February 18, 2014: FedEx-WalMart Scam Update: What Babe the Blue Ox Has in Common with Javontae?
- February 24, 2014: Lawyer Scams: What makes them all similar?
- February 25, 2014: Javontae Holloway: This scam is all hat and no cattle.
- March 4, 2014: Javontae Holloway: This burner phone scammer has an Ohio Version
- July 10, 2014: Update: Javontae Holloway the Chameleon, or Should I Say “PIG!”
- August 7, 2014: Updated: Javontae Gowdy, a new name for an old scam artist
- August 13, 2014: A New Name – An Old Con Game
- August 25, 2014: The Fed-Ex and Walmart Scam for Dummies
- September 22, 2014: Dread Pirate Roberts, A New & Improved, Javontae Holloway
- November 21, 2014: Law Practice: The Paraplegic Scam and the story of Po Javontae
- December 22, 2014: Javontae aka Troy Williams Gets an “A” For Effort
- January 11, 2015: Latest Update, Iowa, Louisiana, New York
- June 18, 2015: Paraplegic Scam: I Now Know Who You Are Javontae
- July 7, 2015: Law Office Scams – Another One Bites the Dust!
- January 20, 2017: Law Office Paraplegic Scammer is Back in Business
- January 26, 2017: Javontae is moving on to the Volunteer State
- April 19, 2017: Like Trump, the Paraplegic Scam Artist Continues to Promise the Moon