It’s being reported that a 7-month-old boy died after eating a laundry detergent packet. The AAPC has an alert on laundry detergent packets and reports in 2012 poison centers received 6,231 reported exposures of highly concentrated packets of laundry detergent by children 5 or younger. The AAPC has these recommendations:

The experts at your local poison center urge parents and caregivers to:

  • Always keep detergents capped and locked up high, and out of the reach of children.
  • Follow the instructions on the product label.
  • Call your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222 immediately if you suspect a child has come in contact with this detergent.

There is a downloadable fact sheet which I will download onto our website.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has several alerts and appears to be holding conferences to discuss the problems these packets pose to children and consumers in general. The problem appears to be these packets look like toys to children who then put them into their mouths.

Orlando Sentinel, Infant dies after ingesting detergent pod, Arelis R. Hernandez reporter

Steve Lombardi
Connect with me
Iowa personal injury, workers' compensation, motorcycle, quadriplegic, paraplegic, brain injury, death
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment