Smoking still today, causes house fires

As I grew up a fleeting thought I had was the end of house fires caused by smoking cigarettes. Here is a house fire in West Des Moines, Iowa that injured two men, one pretty serious. The two men identified in the KCCI story as Michael Huckleberry and Matthew Seagren was hospitalized. They are in their late twenties. The suspected cause of the fire is smoking and falling asleep.

What do you do when this happens and you lose all your belongings? Some lawyer will be called upon to answer this question and unless there is homeowners insurance and or a personal umbrella policy I’m not sure you can recover from the smoker unless he/she has significant assets. You could just be out of luck, so before granting permission to smoke in your house consider the consequences. 

Steve Lombardi
Iowa personal injury, workers' compensation, motorcycle, quadriplegic, paraplegic, brain injury, death
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment