If as a disabled person you are permanently and totally disable, or as the SSA designates “medical improvement not expected” then you may qualify like hundreds of thousands of others and have your student loans forgiven by Uncle Sam. If meet the requirements to be included in these categories, but do not apply for loan forgiveness your SSA Disability checks may be garnished for student loan payments not being made.

Student Loan Forgiveness Programs for Disabled, US Department of Education, Federal Student Aid (See below)

The Complete List of Student Loan Forgiveness Programs and Options, by Melanie Lockert, June 9, 2015

How do I show that I am totally and permanently disabled?

You can show that you are totally and permanently disabled in one of the following three ways:

  1. If you are a veteran, you can submit documentation from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) showing that the VA has determined that you are unemployable due to a service-connected disability.
  2. If you are receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits, you can submit a Social Security Administration (SSA) notice of award for SSDI or SSI benefits stating that your next scheduled disability review will be within five to seven years from the date of your most recent SSA disability determination.
  3. You can submit certification from a physician that you are totally and permanently disabled. Your physician must certify that you are unable to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment that:
  • Can be expected to result in death,
  • Has lasted for a continuous period of not less than 60 months, or
  • Can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 60 months.

Each option for showing that you are totally and permanently disabled has specific requirements for the supporting documentation that you must submit with your TPD discharge application.  To review the supporting documentation requirements, visit the TPD Discharge website atwww.disabilitydischarge.com and click on Application Process.

Steve Lombardi
Connect with me
Iowa personal injury, workers' compensation, motorcycle, quadriplegic, paraplegic, brain injury, death
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment