I read again this week about a lawyer in Iowa being assaulted by his client. In this instance the client poured a glass of water on the lawyer’s head. The jury apparently wasn’t yet out of the courtroom, so who knows if this will result in a mistrial.
Pouring Cold Water On Your Own Case - Jerome Power, Murder Suspect, Pours Water On His Lawyer (VIDEO), Huffington Post, Weird News with video. See also Black World.
One more way of saying, "You're a lousy lawyer!" Wow.... you think he didn't like his closing? It's actually not funny, but if we don't make light of it we would quit lawyering tomorrow. I've experienced two assaults in my 30+ years. One in court, my first case, and the second in a deposition. In the deposition the defense lawyer wouldn't stop yapping and my rather large and strong client had enough of him. I've heard Congressman Braley also had a go-at-it with a deponent. You'd have to ask him, although I believe the deposition transcript made the rounds at the time. Bruce is no push-over. See his questioning on bridge safety. [Alright Bruce, know when to stop, you made your point!]
Here is a recent story from Iowa’s Business Record.
Subj: Business Record Daily PM 11.19.12
Defendant pours water on his lawyer's head
A man on trial for first-degree murder poured a glass of water over his attorney's head following closing arguments Monday. The incident, which was caught by photographers, happened as the jury was leaving the courtroom Monday morning at the Linn County Courthouse in Cedar Rapids. Jerome Power reportedly said, "It should of been a mistrial. You sold me out" to attorney Steve Addington before he doused him. Power, 50, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of his neighbor Doris Bevins in September 2010. Get more news at www.kcci.com.
So today let’s go the YouTube Hall of Fame for Judging Gone Wrong
- Public Defenders - Lawyer Punched In The Face By His Own Client
- Public Defenders - Defendant slugs his own lawyer
- Family Court or Criminal Court - Lady Gets Crazy In NV Courtroom
- Criminal Case – Sentencing for Robbery and Murder
- Criminal Court - Suicide in the Courtroom?
- Teenagers - Teen killer assails judge at sentencing
- Family Court - Ex-Marine beats wife at divorce hearing! Where’s Security?
- Criminal Court - Sucker puncher gets life sentence in Texas
- Criminal Court - Inmate Destroys Judge, more swearing than you can count the bleeps
- Federal Prosecutor - Revenge - Father of Kidnapped Son gets Revenge
- Meth High and the Come Down - Psycho Inmate on a Come Down
- Criminal Court – Addressing the Court with Spit - How to Anger the Judge -
- Sentencing – Killer Speaks to Judge Before Sentencing
- Criminal Court - Mom Asks For Max Sentence For Daughter In Child's Death
- Criminal Court - Judge, Defendant Spar During Sentencing
- Family Court with Judge Richards – A Different Kind of Witness Protection Program - Court Witness - Raw Video: Judge Jumps Bench to Protect Witness & Judge Leaps From Bench to Protect Witness
- Criminal Court - Slain Suspect Attacked Calif. Judge With Spike and Suspect Killed in Court After Attacking Judge
- Criminal Court - Raw Video: Killer Attacked in Courtroom
- Convicted Felon at Sentencing - Man Slits His Own Throat In Courtroom After Getting 40 Year Sentence
- Court Witness Fight - Caught On Tape: Woman Beats On Girlfriend In Court For Laughing
- AP - Court Room Attack – Gun Control Decision in Nevada
- Caught on Tape: Man Goes for Gun in Court
- Criminal Defendant erupts during sentencing
- Prosecutor - Most Shocking- Courtroom Altercation
- Jail Telephone Recordings - Laughing DUI Suspect Draws Longer Sentence
- Courtroom Relatives as Spectators - Courtroom Brawl
- Kentucky Death Row Inmate Speaks Out [and wants to die]