Resthaven Cemetery Swan, "Jack", died
Posted on Oct 19, 2016
Beloved Resthaven Cemetery swan dies
One of Resthaven Cemetary's "Jack and Jill" swans has died. Jack died Tuesday after two months of care in Ames. Jack and Jill were taken out of the Resthaven Cemetary pond after it was discovered that they both suffered from a condition known as bumble foot.
Bumblefoot (ulcerative pododermatitis) is a bacterial infection and inflammatory reaction on the feet of birds and rodents. This infection is much more likely to occur in captive animals than in those in the wild. It is caused by Staphylococcus bacteria.