On Monday, March 31, Joshua Nelson, 27, died in a fire that destroyed the apartment building he lived in, at 303 5th Avenue in Charles City. The fire is believed to have been caused by an improperly discarded cigarette, and probably started with furniture on the front porch. Strong winds apparently pushed the fire inside the four-unit building. Crews arrived to find the front porch and entryway fully engulfed in flames. Mr. Nelson was found dead in his apartment. The Red Cross is assisting other residents of the building, which is owned by Linda Brant of Charles City.