1/7/2011 - Unusual Personal Injury Incidents/Accidents
Posted on Jan 07, 2011
Shoeless Joe - A teenager who had an argument with his family walked away from his home in Gowrie, Webster County sans his shoes. Rescue workers from 13 different agencies searched in below zero wind chill for the teenager. That was at 11:00 pm Saturday night. At 8:00 a.m. Sunday the 14-year-old was found in his home. He apparently snuck in the back door and is reported to have been discovered hiding under a pile of coats and blankets.
Lancaster, PA - Is a manure pit an attractive nuisance? A 4-year-old boy drowned after falling into a partially frozen manure pit on the family farm. The manure pit is described as 8-feet deep surrounded by a chain link fence and the pit is 42 feet in diameter.
Pink Pajamas - Inmates in Maricopa County detention center are provided pink thermal long johns and extra blankets. Anyone that gets cold in Arizona is probably a genetic weak link; join us in Iowa and then talk about cold.
Give me the TV Remote you Moron! - Meanwhile in Nevada, Iowa Story County inmates were involved in a fistfight over which television show to watch. The one guy is being charged with assault. I wonder if the fight was really over the color of their pajamas or jump suits. By-the-way it's Nevada (sounds like potato) not Nevada (sounds like tomata).
Luther College death - The dead body of a man was found in the snow on the baseball diamond. He was a student from Ghana.
Drinking, Bad Dudes, Bad Girls and Concealing a Weapon - New rules for Iowa handgun owners will go into effect on the 1st. sheriff's previously could deny issuing a permit within their discretion. Under the new law the sheriff is required to tell you why you're a bad guy. Also previously you couldn't drink alcohol when carrying a concealed weapon. Now you can be almost drunk and still legal. Your BAC has to stay under .08. Hey you might want to buy a pocket breathalyzer. It's nice that we are making Iowa a place where the NFL can expand into.
I Never Saw Nothing! We didn't even know him! - A Davenport party at the Casa Loma Inn and Suites was the place for a party of sorts on New Years Eve. Seems someone brought a gun. Seems like someone was shot. Seems like a 20-year-old ended up dead. Hmmm.... Reminds me of the Forest Avenue area just east of the Drake Campus when I attended law school; a guy would be in the bar lying dead from a gunshot wound, the police would show and even though there were shoulder to shoulder patrons no one saw nuttin.
Is that fan working? When was the last time you oiled the motor? Not sure. Do you smell something funny? A downtown Waterloo hotel was evacuated after a fire started n the ceiling from an overheated fan motor.
A Russian passenger jet with 124 people caught fire as it taxied down the runway in Siberia, then exploded killing three passengers and injuring 43 others. I've been in Russia and flown as well as rode a train from Moscow to St. Petersburg, a trip I highly recommend. But the plane flight to the Mt. Elbrus region I don't recommend. It felt like flying in the 1960's.
Safety Check Lists - Are they a waste of time?
Did you shut the valve? No, did you? Keokuk, Iowa - A tank was cleaned and the drain valve was left open. Then the pumps were turned back on and 6,000 gallons of corn syrup spilled into the Mississippi River.