FDA Warned Again about the Gum and Mint sweetener Xylitol – This sweetener is poisonous to pets. Maybe we should be using it in mouse traps. What is Xylitol? It is a sweet-tasting crystalline alcohol derived from xylose, present in some plant tissues and used as an artificial sweetener in foods.
Here is how the website Xylitol describes it:
What is it about Xylitol that makes it a great alternative to traditional sugars? Xylitol is a naturally occurring carbohydrate, that looks and tastes just like regular table sugar. It is a natural sweetener that can be extracted from any woody fibrous plant material. Commercially it is extracted from renewable resources such as corn cobs, and also from less environmentally sustainable sources such as hardwood. Xylitol also occurs naturally in our bodies – in fact, an average size adult manufactures up to 15 grams of xylitol daily during normal metabolism. Pure xylitol is a white crystalline substance that looks and tastes like sugar.
What are the main sources of xylitol? Again from www.xylitol.org:
Corn Xylitol vs. Birch Xylitol
There are two main types of Xylitol (corn and birch). There are many variables that differ in the processing of Xylitol.
Probably the best source though is the FDA with its most recent announcement titled: Xylitol and Your Dog: Danger, Paws Off, Consumer Health Information.
You can read this two page article by following this link.
Symptoms to look for include the following: Symptoms include vomiting, decreased activity, weakness, staggering, incoordination, collapse and seizures.
How do you pronounce Xylitol?
Here is a YouTube Video from Emma Saying Xylitol. Phonetically it is the same as saying z-i-letol.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Why will chewing gum or mints kill your pet?"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."