Upcoming seminar on legal ethics and substance abuse for Iowa lawyers
Attorney Steve Lombardi will speak at the upcoming seminar Legal Ethics and Substance Abuse for the Iowa Practitioner on Thursday, December 13, 2012 at the Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel.
Fellow speakers include Anjela Shutts and in Cedar Rapids Joe Gamble and Paula Roby.
Uphold the Highest Standards of the Legal Profession With Skillful Application of Ethics Requirements
Every year, more and more attorneys are facing disciplinary action and litigation for alleged professional or ethical negligence. In a litigious society, no one is immune. Knowing what is required and how to identify problems before they happen is vital. This intensive study will provide you with proactive strategies for spotting and avoiding potential areas of liability. Let our expert speakers answer your most pressing ethical questions. Find out how simple changes to your routine can make ethical legal practices second nature - enroll today!
- Gain a refresher on how the rules of professional conduct apply to your everyday practice.
- Explore the hidden dangers of representing clients of diminished mental capacity and minors.
- Detect and address substance abuse, and help a colleague or yourself to turn back to a fulfilling career in the law.
- Refine your retainer agreements to ensure realistic client expectations and avoid problems down the road.
- Know the rules governing client trust accounts and your responsibilities as the fiduciary.
- Find out how much notice to give before transferring funds from trust account to lawyer's general account to avoid "commingling of funds" charges.
- Gain practical tips to set up or perfect your own management and record-keeping system that ensures accountability and makes periodic client security audits a breeze.
- Find out what needs to be done to make certain you're authorized to practice law in other states.
- Project the right image and stay in compliance with an ethical approach to advertising your services.
- Sharing an office with another attorney? Gain practical tips for making your co-existence harmonious and compliant.
Who Should Attend
This basic-to-intermediate level program will present attorneys with common ethical dilemmas and offer simple solutions.
- I. Ethical Client Communications
- II. Responsible Management of Attorney's Fees and Client Trust Accounts
- III. Record-Keeping Practices That Prevent Legal Malpractice Allegations
- IV. Preventing Legal Malpractice in Everyday Practice
- V. Substance Abuse
Continuing Education Credits:
Continuing Legal Education – CLE: 3.00
December 13 - Des Moines
STEPHEN D. LOMBARDI is a sole practitioner at Lombardi Law Firm, practicing primarily in civil litigation with an emphasis on personal injury, negligence, business litigation, professional medical license revocation defense, defamation claims and workers’ compensation injuries. He earned his associate's and bachelor's degree from the University of Iowa and his J.D. degree from Drake University School of Law. Mr. Lombardi is admitted to practice in Iowa Federal and State courts, Florida State courts and is a member of the Iowa State Bar Association and The Florida Bar. He writes two blogs, The Iowa Edict and The Verdict, analyzing the issues affecting the practice of civil law. Mr. Lombardi is available for consultation or co-representation with other attorneys and regularly assists Iowa's rural population of attorneys in personal injury and workers' compensation cases.
ANJELA A. SHUTTS is a member in the Des Moines law firm of Whitfield & Eddy, P.L.C., where she focuses her practice on family law and alternate dispute resolution. Ms. Shutts is trained and certified to mediate in family law by the Iowa Supreme Court. She is a frequent lecturer on ethics in divorce cases for the Iowa State Bar Association, National Business Institute and the Iowa Trial Lawyers Association. Ms. Shutts earned her B.A. degree from Luther College and her J.D. degree from Drake University Law School. She is a member of the American Bar Association (Family Law Section), the Iowa Organization of Women Attorneys (president, 2003-2004), The Iowa State Bar Association (Family & Juvenile Law Section, Litigation Section, Family Law Section Council, Annual Meeting Committee, Women & Minorities Committee - chair, and the Legal Aid Committee), the National Association of Women Lawyers, the Polk County Bar Association (president-elect, member, Family Law Committee, 1996 to present; past chair, Law Day Committee; Ethics Committee, 2001 to 2005), the Polk County Women Attorneys (1996 to present; president 1998) and the Iowa State Bar Association Public Service Project (formerly known as the Volunteer Lawyers Project). Ms. Shutts has taught family law at Drake University Law School for two semesters and is a past member of the Iowa State Supreme Court Grievance Commission.
December 19 - Cedar Rapids
JOSEPH G. GAMBLE is an attorney with the law firm of Duncan, Green, Brown & Langeness in Des Moines, Iowa, where he practices in the areas of personal injury, professional liability, commercial law, aviation law, environmental law and general civil litigation. Mr. Gamble earned his B.A. degree from the University of Iowa and his J.D. degree from Drake University Law School. He is a member of the American Inns of Court, (Barrister, C. Edwin Moore Inn), as well as the Iowa State and Polk County bar associations.
PAULA L. ROBY is an attorney with the law firm of Elderkin and Pirnie, P.L.C. in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where she practices primarily in the area of civil litigation. Ms. Roby earned her B.A. degree at the University of Northern Iowa and her J.D. degree, with distinction, from the University of Iowa. She is a member of the Linn County, the Iowa State and eighth Circuit bar associations, and the Iowa Trial Lawyers Association, the Dean Mason Ladd Inn of Court and the Association of Trial Lawyers of America.
1 Comments to "Upcoming seminar on legal ethics and substance abuse for Iowa lawyers"
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Upcoming seminar on legal ethics and substance abuse for Iowa lawyers"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."