I received several calls over the past two weeks from lawyers practicing in Oregon, Vermont, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. The caller has been identifying himself using the name Carl Torrence reporting he was struck by a UPS truck driver in a Lowe’s parking lot. The settlement amount being offered varies but the story remains the same – he is going to be evicted if he can’t come up with several hundred dollars. He is either going to be homeless or sent to a nursing home, which he desperately would like to avoid. His landlord is either in need of the rent money for his wife’s alleged breast cancer or her education (new fact) and without it he will be pressed to evict. You are then placed in the position of offering to pay the rent to save the lawsuit.
Here is one version of the scenario.
I could see where he was heading with the back rent story so I said "I wish I could lend you the money, but it is a disciplinary violation for a lawyer to do that so I cannot". So MY Javonae, aka Calvin Williams, did not ever press me for money. I spoke directly to the landlord and suggested to him that if he could just wait a few months, Calvin would be able to offer him more than just the three months’ rent. The landlord said, in a deep, deep southern drawl, that his wife needed the money for "educational expenses". The landlord sounded like he was 75 years old and I kept wondering what possible educational needs his wife might have unless she was a LOT younger. Boy had he robbed the cradle. Anyway, he wrote me off by saying "I cannot place this boy's needs ahead of my wife's". What a heartless bastard. And cradle robber.
There may be more than one person or one person who imitates several voices that include the paraplegic, the landlord and the brother. The method of money transfer has recently changed from GreenDot Cards to Western Union. We have several receipts to show an identity of a person picking up the money.
This scam is changing slightly but the basic facts remain the same. If you have been contacted and find our blog please send us your details so we may keep up with the latest facts.
He used 9/12/87 as his DOB, an address of 133 Maple Street, Columbus MS 39702 and a phone number of 985-519-3971. The phone shows up as LA (Louisiana).
He called back 7/6/15 and asked that paperwork be faxed to Office Depot in Columbus MS (fax #662-328-2778).
And then this story out of Philly:
I was contacted by a potential client with similar facts-I was told his injury took place in Lowes in Philadelphia where he was paralyzed in a work related incident. He called at 1:15 pm and told my staff he was going to sign a release with his WC carrier at 3:00 and his landlord was going to take him to sign it in order to get three months back rent. He was allegedly living in Mississippi at the time. His phone number was 225-828-9794.
If this man were to put his energy into a legitimate enterprise there is no telling what he could achieve.
- Other blogs about the FedEx and WalMart Scam:
- November 18, 2013: Law Practice: The Paraplegic Scam and the story of Po Javontae – Des Moines, Iowa.
- December 9, 2013: Breaking News: Javontae's paraplegic scam, moves from Iowa to California! - California
- December 13, 2013: Breaking News: Hot off the Dysfunctional Press from the Lombardi Law Firm! – Spokane, Washington
- December 15, 2013: More Breaking News: Where is Waldo? He’s in New Haven, Connecticut
- December 18, 2013: Does Waldo own a jet? – The Big Apple, New York, New York
- December 21, 2013: Paraplegic scammer attempts his scam on lawyers in Baltimore, Maryland
- January 14, 2014: News Update: Fed Ex and Walmart Scammers in New Jersey
- January 22, 2014: Let’s Rock & Roll with Po Javontae, Baltimore, Maryland - Javontae is back trolling again in Baltimore, Maryland, slight change of reported facts. He’s changed his address to: Napoleon, 111 East Little Texas Road, Louisiana 70390. This lawyer did not bite.
- January 27, 2014: Contacted by lawyers in West Virginia. Legal Scam: Javontae is back, this time in West Virginia
- February 7, 2014: February, 7, 2014: Do Louisianans have too much time on their hands? West Virginia
- February 12, 2014: Guess who is back? You guessed it Javontae! | Lombardi Law Firm – Los Angeles, California
- February 18, 2014: FedEx-WalMart Scam Update: What Babe the Blue Ox Has in Common with Javontae?
- February 24, 2014: Lawyer Scams: What makes them all similar?
- February 25, 2014: Javontae Holloway: This scam is all hat and no cattle.
- March 4, 2014: Javontae Holloway: This burner phone scammer has an Ohio Version
- July 10, 2014: Update: Javontae Holloway the Chameleon, or Should I Say “PIG!”
- August 7, 2014: Updated: Javontae Gowdy, a new name for an old scam artist
- August 13, 2014: A New Name – An Old Con Game
- August 25, 2014: The Fed-Ex and Walmart Scam for Dummies
- September 22, 2014: Dread Pirate Roberts, A New & Improved, Javontae Holloway
- November 21, 2014: Law Practice: The Paraplegic Scam and the story of Po Javontae
- December 22, 2014: Javontae aka Troy Williams Gets an “A” For Effort
- January 11, 2015: Latest Update, Iowa, Louisiana, New York
- June 18, 2015: Paraplegic Scam: I Now Know Who You Are Javontae
- July 7, 2015: Law Office Scams – Another One Bites the Dust!
- July 20, 2015: Javontae back to using Calvin Williams as his alias, along with other aliases
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Paraplegic back to using Calvin Williams as his alias"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."