Iowa's Free Smoke Detector Installation Program
Yes you read that right; you can get up to two free smoke detectors installed by the Iowa Fire Marshall's office in a residence in Iowa. That's a pretty sweet deal. How can you go wrong? You can't so get off your fanny and contact them. The only requirement is that a child younger than junior high live there.
WHY IS A WORKING SMOKE DETECTOR VITALLY IMPORTANT TO YOUR FAMILY'S SAFETY?
There is always a delay from the time the fire starts until the fire fighters arrive. Obviously the quicker your family receives a warning the sooner they can get safely out of the burning house. That means you need some system in place for an early warning. The significance of operable smoke detectors should be clear. Yes? No? If no, then go back and reread what I just wrote.
- 1. Install at least one smoke detector on every level of your home.
- 2. Replace the smoke detectors every ten years. Same applies to hard-wired ones.
- 3. Develop a fire escape plan for your home.
- 4. Keep combustible materials at least 3 feet from any ignition source. The ignition sources are your furnace, stove, water heater, fireplace and stuff like that.
- 5. Install a carbon monoxide detector near the bedrooms in your home. Replace them as indicated by the manufacturer.
- 6. Fire extinguishers should be in your home and checked annually. They need to be rated "Class ABC" fires.
- 7. If you're building new then consider a residential fire sprinkler system. That's probably pretty expensive but you might as well have it quoted so if you say no you know why.
So be aware there is a free smoke detector installation program for all homes where a Pre-K and elementary age student resides in the State of Iowa. Fill out this form. I'll also upload it to the Lombardi Law Firm website, the Verdict. Form for Smoke Detector Project.
2009 Iowa Code - Title 14 - Property - Subtitle 2 - Real Property - Gifts
CHAPTER 562B - MANUFACTURED HOME COMMUNITIES OR MOBILE HOME PARKS RESIDENTIAL LANDLORD AND TENANT LAW
Iowa Fire Marshall Press Releases
Iowa Fire Marshall Smoke Detector Project
Iowa Mobile Home Landlord and Tenant Duties, National Conference of State Legislatures
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Iowa's Free Smoke Detector Installation Program"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."