Interstate truck accidents are a complicated accident to settle. Owners and drivers are from different states. Insurance coverage may be with companies not used to doing business in Iowa and of course medical care begins in Iowa and then ends up being finished up in the person’s home state.
In this I-80 truck accident in Iowa County we see a little of everything just described. Here are the facts:
1. Jerry Sturdevant, 55 from Eagleville, MO driving something and pulling a 2007 Doon Trailer.
2. Randy Weeden from Monticello, Wisconsin, 51 driving a 2005 Peterbilt semi-truck.
3. Karen Lorenzen from Polk City, Iowa is driving a 2011 Kia Optima.
Both Sturdevant and Lorenzen were injured and taken to hospitals in Grinnell and Morengo.
Summary: UNIT 2 AND UNIT 3 WERE STOPPED WEST BOUND I80 AT THE 205 MILE MARKER DUE TO SLOWED TRAFFIC FROM PREVIOUS CRASH UNIT 1 FAILED TO STOP IN SAFE AND SURE DISTANCE STRIKING UNIT 2 AND UNIT 3 THE COLLISON CAUSED BOTH UNIT 1 AND 2 TO CATCH FIRE AND BLOCK BOTH WEST BOUND LANES OF I80.
This sounds pretty similar to the one we handled over by Davenport. I’m told one of the trucks came up, wasn’t going to stop, pulled alongside and ripped a hole in the fuel tank. Of course sparks from scraping metal parts then ignite the exposed fuel causing it to burst into flames.
So what needs to be done:
- Photograph the trucks and cars.
- Photograph the accident scene.
- Take measurements of any skid marks.
- Get a handle on the positions of the cars in the first accident.
- Interview witnesses in the first accident, the second accident and those just on the scene.
- Contact all insurance companies to make sure they don’t settle without taking your claim into consideration.
- If workers’ compensation claims are involved, get those started so benefits (a paycheck) can start coming in to pay the bills.
- Collect the medical pay and bank it for deductibles and copays.
- File claims with the health insurance companies or ERISA Plans.
- This is just a start, there is much more to be done and that we do for you.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Iowa I-80 Truck Accidents Provide a Challenge"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."