Fort Dodge, Iowa at the Travel Inn pool five children were playing in the pool when they experienced carbon monoxide poisoning. The Assistant Fort Dodge Fire Captain reported the levels of carbon monoxide were 14 times higher than normal. A faulty furnace is to be blame.

What one has to wonder is when the furnace had its last maintenance check up. It’s important to keep furnaces clean or carbon monoxide can come into the building. 

How does carbon monoxide gas kill a person?

Carbon Monoxide – Home Inspection Tips – buying or selling your house.

What likely happened and how can management protect the customers?

This story is covered by ABC-5 or WOI-TV, NBC-7 or KWWL, WHO, the Globe Gazette, ABC-9 News, NBC-13 WHO, the AP and The Messenger

You can get free advice on homeowner safety and maintenance advice for homeowners online at several different web sites.

National Furnace Heating & AC – keep the area surrounding the furnace clean and unobstructed, keep the burner area clean and maintain the furnace on a regular basis.

Sempra Energy – Carbon monoxide safety sheet.

What are the signs of CO poisoning? • Flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath and mental confusion.

Landlords and business owners, like hotel operators have a duty to maintain their building systems. If they try and cut corners it can result in faulty equipment operating in ways that cause injury or death to customers or hotel - motel guests.  The proper way to run a business is to use systems for maintenance rather than maintenance by crisis.  It's not always the fault of the building owner or operator. Some vendors, HVAC companies that do maintenance do a lousy job or fail to do what they were hired to do. Other times it's the fault of the manufacturer in producing and selling faulty products.

To know what went wrong the Iowa State Fire Marshall will probably investigate and issue a report concluding where the systems failed and who or what is at fault.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment