Apartment Fires - Check your apartment smoke detector batteries

An apartment fire in Cedar Rapids killed one man. There is no indication how the fire started or whether the smoke detectors had working batteries. The man is Rodney Lee Noye. The Iowa State Fire Marshall's website is a part of the Iowa Department of Public Safety. Checking the available press releases did not provide any further details. An earlier story in the Register indicates the man was 35-years-old. Heavy fire was located in the kitchen. The big thing here is anticipation. Every owner knows apartment buildings can and do catch on fire. If there are smoke detectors do they work? Are they battery operated and if so when was the last time the batteries were checked. Also, read the lease and see whose responsibility was it to change the batteries? Is it a non-delegable duty on the part of the land owner?

Steve Lombardi
Iowa personal injury, workers' compensation, motorcycle, quadriplegic, paraplegic, brain injury, death
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment